If you have wished your lips were plumber and smoother, you might have considered lip augmentation using fillers. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, fillers are medical treatments used to give a fuller and more prominent appearance to the lips and other facial structures like the cheeks, chin, and nasolabial folds. The primary purpose of dermal fillers is to fill wrinkles and add volume to deficient areas.
This article is for you if you are considering lip fillers to improve your smile and facial appearance. Continue reading to find everything you need to know about dermal fillers and how they can give you a charming and attractive smile.
How Long Do Lip Fillers Last?
According to the National Health Service, the majority of lip fillers are not permanent. How long do lip fillers last depends on the type of filler being used, their concentration, and the site at which they are injected. However, generally, they tend to last anywhere between six to eighteen months.
Does Lip Filler Dissolve Naturally?
Whether lip fillers are made from natural or synthetic sources, they tend to dissolve naturally. However, their rate of degradation can be controlled to enhance their lifetime. That is why you may need to repeat the procedure after some time to continue enjoying a youthful and attractive appearance.
However, according to the US Food and Drug Administration say that certain dermal fillers are non-resorbable. These types of dermal fillers are not used in the lips. Instead, they are typically reserved for the cheek, acne scars and the nasolabial folds.
How To Make Lip Fillers Last Longer?
While virtually all lip fillers have a limited service life, there are ways in which you can make them last longer. Some of these include:
- Follow the Guidelines Following the manufacturer’s and your doctor’s recommendations regarding aftercare.
- Stick to the Shade – The more time you spend in the sun, the more quickly your lip fillers will dissolve. Therefore, you should try to remain in the shade as much as possible.
- Keep Track of Your Exercise Routine – No doubt exercise is good for your health. But research has shown that the increase in metabolic activity caused by physical activity and exercise can also make your lip fillers dissolve at a faster rate.
- Healthy Diet – make sure to eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, which will help keep your lips healthy and plumper.
- Avoid Stress – too much stress not only affects your physical and mental health, but it can also cause your lip fillers to dissolve at a faster rate.
What Are The Benefits Of Dermal Filler Treatments?
Still not sure whether dermal lip fillers are suitable for you? Here are some benefits of the dermal fillers that will help you in deciding in their favour:
- Dermal lip fillers help improve your smile, giving a boost to your self-confidence.
- No need to wait; you will immediate results with dermal fillers
- There is recovery or downtime associated with dermal fillers
- Dermal fillers do not carry any health hazard
Long-term Side-effects Of Lip Fillers?
According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association (AAD), some of the commonly associated, mild side effects of lip fillers include:
- Redness over the affected area
- Occasional bruising
The AAD also notes that if a filler injection is administered in a non-medical setting, it may lead to more serious adverse effects, such as:
- Lumps or ridge formation
- Allergic reaction – may prove life-threatening in rare cases
- Discolouration of the skin
- Severe swelling
- Generalised infection
Do Lip Fillers Hurt With Numbing Cream?
The extent of numbing required for the administration of lip fillers depends on the site of injection. Typically, there is no need to administer anaesthesia in the hands, while a nerve block may be necessary for dermal lip fillers.
If you are concerned about the pain associated with dermal filler administration, your facial surgeon may apply a numbing cream to reduce the pain. As a result, you will only feel a slight pinch of the filler injection.
Sometimes, dermatologists also use ice cubes to numb the site of filler injection.
How Much Swelling Is Normal After Lip Fillers?
The non-invasive, injectable facial fillers are used for adding volume to the face, chin, lips and cheeks. While dermal fillers are safe for human use, their injection may cause some swelling and inflammation. If that happens to you after injection, don’t worry or stress over it.
The swelling occurs because the fillers bind with the water present inside the skin, making it appear plump and puffy. The swelling should go away in one or two weeks. In some cases, swelling may occur a few days after the filler injection. However, if the swelling persists for three to four weeks, it is a good idea to call your dentist and let them know of your situation.
If you wish to get rid of your facial wrinkles to enjoy a youthful, attractive and healthy appearance, dermal fillers are an excellent option. At Harrow Dental Practice, we offer all dental aesthetic and restorative services to our esteemed patients under one roof. Our experienced, board-certified facial aesthetics experts, Dr Bhandal and Dr Creta have a combined experience of more than twenty years in transforming flawed smiles into lively and youthful ones. So, what are you waiting for?
Book a consultation appointment with us today and begin your journey towards the smile of your dreams.